Your food journal tells a story. It records your food, exercise, water, supplement intake and ratings of your effort. Bringing your food journal to every appointment makes communication with your coach very clear. Your coach can see your record, so you don’t have to remember what you ate and did during the week. There are so many benefits to journaling, and being a consistent journaler can improve your success. Consider the following:
1. If you aren’t getting the results you want, your journal will help your coach figure out why.
2. Your journal makes you think about your food choices, acting as a deterrent to cheating.
3. When you need meal ideas, you can look back and see what you’ve done before.
4. Journaling is a tool that will transform into meal planning through the course of your weight loss experience.
5. Looking back to celebrate your success, and remind yourself that you can do it can be motivating.
6. Research shows that those who record their food are more successful in losing weight and keeping it off.
7. Your journal reminds you to eat, drink water, take vitamins and exercise.
8. Sharing your journal with your friends and family can help them support you. When they see your effort, they’ll cheer you on!
To build consistency, carry your journal with you and record your meal right after you eat it. At the end of each day, rate your effort, and make sure your journal is complete. This is a good time to plan your meals for the next day. Let your journal be the tool of your success!